On this International Peace Day, we commemorate the timeless wisdom of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Through his teachings, he has shared invaluable insights on peace, compassion, and inner harmony. Here are fourteen most inspiring timeless quotes that remind us of the significance of peace and harmony.
1. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.”
2. "Love & compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive."
3. “We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.”
4. "Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free. True peace with oneself and with the world around us can only be achieved through the development of mental peace."
5. "World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, manifestation of human compassion."
6. "If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another."
7. "To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle."
8. "When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."
9. “Peace does not mean an absence of conflicts; differences will always be there. Peace means solving these differences through peaceful means; through dialogue, education, knowledge; & through humane ways.”
10. "The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred."
11. "Every morning when I wake up, I dedicate myself to helping others to find peace of mind. When I meet people, I think of them as long-term friends, I don't regard others as strangers."
12. "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."
13. “The planet does not need more successful people. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, stortellers and lovers of all kinds.”
14. “When we have inner peace, we can be at peace with those around us. When our community is in a state of peace, it can share that peace with neighboring communities.”
His Holiness the Dalai Lama's timeless wisdom reminds us that peace is not merely the absence of conflict but a profound state of inner and outer harmony, achieved through love, compassion, and self-awareness. On this International Peace Day, let us reflect on these words and work together to build a more peaceful and compassionate world.
Edited and collated by Team TRC